Minecraft PE 1.0.4 was released earlier today. The update is a free download for previous owners of Minecraft PE. While unstated in app store descriptions, the most anticipated feature of the update is villager trading. The release was made public by Matt Booty on Twitter. Here’s his post from earlier today:
— Matt Booty (@mattbooty) March 9, 2017
Minecraft PE 1.0.4 brings villager trading to Pocket Edition
Without villager trading, those NPC villagers just didn’t have much of a purpose in the game. Especially to those who have played the PC/Mac version of Minecraft and traded with villagers. 1.0.4 at last brings villager trading functionality to Pocket Edition.
Details on what can and cannot be traded, included if there are any Pocket Edition specific nuances to NPC villager trading is still unknown. Expect updates from Mojang and Minecraft Studios on what you can, and cannot, expect from this new feature.
Emerald Seeds and Minecraft PE 1.0.4
One disappointment is that it seems emeralds that previously appeared in 1.0.3 villages are no longer present. We tried several previously-identified seeds which had emeralds in NPC blacksmith chests and while the seed still worked, the emeralds were not present. Instead, they were switched out for other items.
We’ll be checking to see if emeralds are present or missing in other structures, such as desert temples.
This may be a bug in 1.0.4 or it may just be an adjustment to make trading with villagers more challenging.
Strangers Skin Pack – Biome Settlers Pack Released with 1.0.4
While it’s not free like the update for existing owners of Minecraft PE, a new skin pack accompanied the 1.0.4 release. It’s noted as Strangers Skin Pack – Biome Settlers 3. The pack is currently priced at $1.99 (US).
Here is a fairly complete list of new features, tweaks and bug fixes posted on the Minecraft.net site earlier today:
New Features in Minecraft PE 1.0.4
- Added Strangers Skin Pack
- Added the Storage screen in Settings to manage worlds, resource packs, and behavior packs
- Added Villager Trading!
- Music, sounds, and user interface can now be modified using Add-Ons
- New Add-On format: All of your old Add-Ons will automatically update to the new format. You may see warnings on those Add-Ons but they will be fully functional
Tweaks to MCPE 1.0.4
- Added low render distance options for older devices
- Addition of CDN for downloading optional content, reducing game file sizes
- Baby Villagers now have adorable, larger-sized heads
- Husks are now a little bit taller than Zombies
- The models for the Shulker and Ender Dragon can now be edited using Add-Ons
Bug Fixes in Pocket Edition 1.0.4
- Clicks are now registered when quickly right-clicking items in the inventory
- Field of View will now increase properly when sprinting and Field of View is set to max in the settings
- The Nether Star can no longer be destroyed by explosions
- Capes will no longer appear when wearing Elytra
- Fixed the hitbox on Stone and Wooden Buttons so they can no longer be stepped on by players and other mobs
- Zombie Villagers of different variants now keep their professions when importing a world from 0.15.9 or earlier
- Destroying a painting no longer destroys the block behind it
- Ridden mobs (e.g. Spider Jockeys) can now be pulled into Minecarts
- Villagers will no longer wander too far away from their Village and run slower when attacked.
- Achievements no longer unlock in Survival if Behavior Packs are used
- Several achievements fixed and will now unlock
- Several texture issues fixed
- Several crash issues fixed
- The game no longer needs to be restarted before a shader pack is applied
- Villagers will no longer do farming work if they’re not a farmer
- Villagers are less greedy and will no longer immediately pick up items thrown at them. They’ll even throw food for other Villagers.